Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas. High levels of radon in the home can lead to serious health problems such as lung cancer. Because of this, it is important that homeowners find out if their house has high levels of radon and to have it professionally removed if it does.
What is Radon?
Radon is colorless, odorless, and tasteless, which is why people can’t detect it without radon gas detectors. It is produced by the radioactive decay of uranium and thorium which are found in granite bedrock, soil, and water. A home might be at risk for an unsafe accumulation of radon in its lower stories, especially in the crawlspace or basement. It can also be found in well water.
The Dangers of Radon in the Home
Radon can cause damage when it’s in the air and breathed into the lungs. Once inside the body, radon damages DNA. When the DNA in the lungs is damaged, the person is at a higher risk for lung cancer. There is some evidence that radon exposure might also raise the risk of childhood leukemia.
How Is Radon Detected?
A radon detector can be bought in any hardware or big box store. However, if you want an accurate reading of the radon in your home, it is important to hire a professional. Professional radon testers have high-quality radon detectors that are more accurate and they are experienced in testing for radon in the home.
How Is Radon Removed?
A professional radon mitigation company has different ways to remove radon or prevent it from entering the home. They can seal up cracks in the infrastructure or remove the gas by installing a system of fans and pipes. In one system, gas is pulled from beneath the foundation slab and vented to the outside. Water filters using activated charcoal can remove radon from well water. The radon mitigator will recommend the system that is right for your home based on the situation.